|Academic Departments||Academic Resources||Services||Other|
|Education||Academic Support CentereUniversityRecords and RegistrationWrite Place||Career ServicesHousingInformation TechnologiesDuplicatingMabee CenterPublic SafetyStudent Activities||Athletics Bookstore Catalog Course Finder Directory Employee Portal Evangel's Public Site Online Giving Student Handbook Student Portal|
- Thanks for taking a look at EU.
- I teach New Testament as well as Pentecostal Theology and Spiritual Formation.
- I invite you to note the following quotes. They serve as personal and vocational inspiration:
-- "For over the margins of life comes a whisper, a faint call, a premonition of richer living which we know we are passing by. Strained by the very mad pace of our daily outer burdens, we are further strained by an inward uneasiness, because we have hints that there is a way of life vastly richer and deeper than all this hurried existence, a life of serenity and peace and power." (Thomas Kelly)
-- "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen; not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." (C.S. Lewis)
-- "The function of theology is to be suspicious of theology." (John Howard Yoder)
-- "It is the very nature of the Bible to affront, perplex and astonish the human mind. Hence the reader who opens the Bible must be prepared for disorientation, confusion, incomprehension, perhaps outrage." (Thomas Merton)
-- "When you begin to question the Bible you find that the Bible is also questioning you. When you ask: 'What is this book?' you find that you are also implicitly being asked: 'Who is this that reads it?'" (Karl Barth)
-- "It would be a strange God who could be loved better by being known less." (Frank Sheed)
- As you consider EU, don't hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Title: Professor of Biblical Studies
Office: Trask Hall 214 M
- Ph.D. Marquette University (Milwaukee, Wisconsin), 2000. WE ARE MARQUETTE!!
- M.Div. Providence Theological Seminary (Winnipeg, MB, Canada),1990.
- B.Th. Horizon College (Saskatoon, SK, Canada) in partnership with University of Winnipeg, 1986.
- Society for Pentecostal Studies (see www.sps-usa.org)
- Society for Biblical Literature (see www.sbl-site.org)
- Canadian Pentecostal Research Network (see www.twu.ca/sites/cprn)
--- Canadian Journal of Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity (Book Review Editor) )
- Pentecostal Charismatic Peace Fellowship (see www.pcpj.org)
--- Pax Pneuma (Editorial Board)
- Ordained minister with the Assemblies of God (see www.ag.org)
- Roman Catholic / Pentecostal Dialogue for Springfield, MO (Co-facilitator).
- Essential Christianity, Pentecost (Frameworks)
- New Testament Literature; New Testament Theology; Themes in the New Testament
- Acts; Luke-Acts; The Corinthian Correspondence; Pauline Epistles; Philippians
- Pentecostal Foundations; Pentecostal Studies: Archival Practicum; SPS Conference Practicum
- Theology and Literature of Hospitality; Spiritual Direction Practicum (Assumption Abbey)
- Christian Media Ethics
-For a complete list of publications see the pdf link at the bottom of the page (publications).
- THE THEOLOGY OF AMOS YONG AND THE NEW FACE OF PENTECOSTAL SCHOLARSHIP: PASSION FOR THE SPIRIT. Co-edited with Wolfgang Vondey. Global Pentecostal and Charismatic Studies Series. Leiden: Brill, 2013.
- READING LUKE-ACTS IN THE PENTECOSTAL TRADITION. Cleveland, TN: CPT Press, 2010.
- FORGIVENESS, RECONCILIATION, AND RESTORATION: MULTIDISCIPLINARY STUDIES FROM A PENTECOSTAL PERSPECTIVE. Co-edited with Geoff Sutton. Pentecostals, Peacemaking and, Social Justice Series 3. Eugene, OR: Pickwick (WIPF & Stock), 2010.
- SPIRIT AND SUFFERING IN LUKE-ACTS: IMPLICATIONS FOR A PENTECOSTAL PNEUMATOLOGY. JPTSS 26. London: T & T Clark International, 2004.
- "Eat, Drink, and Be Merry: A Theology of Hospitality in Luke-Acts" in Word and World: Theology for Christian Ministry 34.2 (Spring, 2014) 31-39. Originally in Hermeneutics and the Spirit: Identities, Communities, and the Making of Meaning (Society for Pentecostal Studies @ Evangel University, Springfield, MO, 2014).
- "Guest Editorial: 'Pentecostalisms, Peacemaking, and Social Justice/Righteousness' in Canada and Abroad" in Canadian Journal for Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity 4 (2013) i-iv.
- "Reimagining Luke-Acts: Amos Yong and the Biblical Foundation of Pentecostal Theology" in The Theology of Amos Yong and the New Face of Pentecostal Scholarship: Passion for the Spirit. Edited by Wolfgang Vondey and Martin Mittelstadt. Global Pentecostal and Charismatic Studies Series. Leiden: Brill, 2013.
- "Loving God and Loving Others: Learning about Love from Psychological Science and Pentecostal Perspectives" in Journal of Psychology and Christianity 31.2 (Summer 2012) 157-166. Co-authored with Geoff Sutton.
- "For Profit or Delight? Richard Pervo’s Contributions to Lukan Studies: A Review Essay" in Pneuma 33 (2011) 95-108.
- "Academic and Pentecostal: An Appreciation of Roger Stronstad" in Canadian Journal of Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity 1 (2010) 30-62. Originally in New Voices, New Visions: Future and Hope of Pentecostal Theology (Society for Pentecostal Studies @ North Central University, Minneapolis, MN, 2010).
Started Work: Fall 2000
Favorite Thing About Work: The interaction with students and colleagues; the exhilaration of seeing a student wrestle with new ideas.
Originally From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- My wife Evelyn (Doerksen) and I have three children - Rachel, Sarah, and Andrew.
- A great day would include any of the following: the outdoors, traveling (i.e. wanderlust) racquetball, and a good book.
- Hobby - "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes" - Erasmus!
- Go Jets (We're back) - Go Pack (I'm an owner!) - Go Golden Eagles (We are Marquette!) - Go Blue Jays - Go Cards!.
- One of my favorite ministry passions is short term cross-cultural ministry. I have led teams to Oxford House in Northern Manitoba, Atlanta (1996 Olympic Games), Poland (2x), Croatia, and Italy.
- My favorite authors include: John Howard Yoder, Luke Timothy Johnson, Richard Foster, Stanley Hauerwas, Amos Yong, Raniero Cantalamessa, Kathleen Norris, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, David Bergen, and Miriam Toews.
- I received the Orville and Jewel Mills Young Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, Scholarship, and Service in May 2006.
- I received the Award of Excellence - Book of the Year for publication of "Reading Luke-Acts in the Pentecostal Tradition" from the Foundation for Pentecostal Scholarship in 2011. On this subject, I delivered the Occasional Pentecostal Lecture Series at Asia Pacific Theological Seminaty in Baguio City, Philippines in July, 2011.
- I received the First Place Award in the "Critical Review" Category for the 2014 Higher Goals Awards sponsored by the Evangelical Press Association for “Miracles: The Credibility of the New Testament Accounts." 2 vols. By Craig S. Keener. Published in Enrichment 18.2 (Spring 2013).
- Drop by for a visit on on my Facebook page.
Top 5 Strengths: