|Academic Departments||Academic Resources||Services||Other|
|Education||Academic Support CenterRecords and RegistrationWrite Place||HousingInformation TechnologyDuplicatingPublic Safety||Athletics Bookstore Catalog Course Finder Directory Employee Portal Evangel's Public Site Student Handbook Student Portal|
- Thanks for taking a look at EU.
- I teach New Testament, Pentecostal Theology and Spiritual Formation.
- I invite you to note the following quotes. They serve as personal and vocational inspiration:
-- "For over the margins of life comes a whisper, a faint call, a premonition of richer living which we know we are passing by. Strained by the very mad pace of our daily outer burdens, we are further strained by an inward uneasiness, because we have hints that there is a way of life vastly richer and deeper than all this hurried existence, a life of serenity and peace and power." (Thomas Kelly)
-- "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen; not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." (C.S. Lewis)
-- "The function of theology is to be suspicious of theology." (John Howard Yoder)
-- "It is the very nature of the Bible to affront, perplex and astonish the human mind. Hence the reader who opens the Bible must be prepared for disorientation, confusion, incomprehension, perhaps outrage." (Thomas Merton)
-- "When you begin to question the Bible you find that the Bible is also questioning you. When you ask: 'What is this book?' you find that you are also implicitly being asked: 'Who is this that reads it?'" (Karl Barth)
-- "It would be a strange God who could be loved better by being known less." (Frank Sheed)
- As you consider EU, don't hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Title: Professor of New Testament
Office: AGTS 207
- Ph.D. Marquette University (Milwaukee, Wisconsin), 2000. WE ARE MARQUETTE!!
- M.Div. Providence Theological Seminary (Winnipeg, MB, Canada), 1990.
- B.Th. Horizon College (Saskatoon, SK, Canada) and University of Winnipeg, 1986.
- Society for Pentecostal Studies (see www.sps-usa.org)
- Society for Biblical Literature (see www.sbl-site.org)
- Canadian Pentecostal Research Network (see www.twu.ca/sites/cprn)
--- Canadian Journal of Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity (Co-Editor) )
- Pentecostal Charismatic Peace Fellowship (see www.pcpj.org)
--- Pax Pneuma (Editorial Board)
- Ordained minister with the Assemblies of God (see www.ag.org)
- Roman Catholic / Pentecostal Dialogue for Springfield, MO (Co-facilitator).
- Missourians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty (see www.madpmo.org)
- Essential Christianity, Pentecost (Interdisciplinary Studies)
- New Testament Literature; New Testament Theology; Themes in the New Testament
- Luke-Acts; The Corinthian Correspondence; Pauline Epistles; Philippians
- Pentecostal Foundations
- Spiritual Direction Practicum @ Assumption Abbey
- Media Ethics
--- For a complete list of publications see the pdf link at the bottom of the page.
- WHAT’S SO LIBERAL ABOUT THE LIBERAL ARTS? ESSAYS IN HONOR OF JAMES AND TWILA EDWARDS: EXEMPLARS OF AN INTEGRATIVE, MULTI-DISCIPLINARY APPROACH TO LIBERAL ARTS EDUCATION. Co-Edited with Paul W. Lewis. Frameworks: Interdisciplinary Studies for Faith and Learning 1. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2016.
- THE THEOLOGY OF AMOS YONG AND THE NEW FACE OF PENTECOSTAL SCHOLARSHIP: PASSION FOR THE SPIRIT. Co-edited with Wolfgang Vondey. Global Pentecostal and Charismatic Studies Series. Leiden: Brill, 2013.
- READING LUKE-ACTS IN THE PENTECOSTAL TRADITION. Cleveland, TN: CPT Press, 2010.
- FORGIVENESS, RECONCILIATION, AND RESTORATION: MULTIDISCIPLINARY STUDIES FROM A PENTECOSTAL PERSPECTIVE. Co-edited with Geoff Sutton. Pentecostals, Peacemaking and, Social Justice Series 3. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2010.
- SPIRIT AND SUFFERING IN LUKE-ACTS: IMPLICATIONS FOR A PENTECOSTAL PNEUMATOLOGY. JPTSS 26. London: T & T Clark International, 2004.
- LEGACY: SEVENTY-FIVE YEARS OF PENTECOSTAL CAMP AT MANHATTAN BEACH. Editor. Winnipeg: Manhattan Beach Retreat Centre, 2014.
- “Reading Luke-Acts in the Mennocostal Tradition: Pentecostals, Mennonites, and Prophethood” in Our Lives as Mennocostals (Eugene, OR.: Pickwick Publications, Forthcoming). Given as Public Lecture for Summit Pacific College and Canadian Pentecostal Research Network (May 24, 2017).
- “Canada’s First Martyr”: The Suspicious Death of Winnipeg’s WWI Pentecostal Conscientious Objector David Wells” in Pentecostalism and Culture (Society for Pentecostal Studies @ Urshan College, Florissant, MO, 2017).
- “No Time for Musings on Prayer: Confessions of a Theologian” with Wes Laturnus in The Pentecostal Testimony (February 2017).
- “Craig Keener’s Acts: An Exegetical Commentary Encyclopedia in Four Volumes: An Almost Exhaustive and Exhausting Work. A Review Essay” in Pneuma 38.1-2 (2016) 193-206.
- "Is God's Will Simpler than You Thought" in Vital Magazine (10/27/15; https://vitalmagazine.com/Home/Article/Is-God-s-Will-Simpler-Than-You-Thought-/).
- "Eat, Drink, and Be Merry: A Theology of Hospitality in Luke-Acts" in Word and World: Theology for Christian Ministry 34.2 (Spring, 2014) 31-39. Originally in Hermeneutics and the Spirit: Identities, Communities, and the Making of Meaning (Society for Pentecostal Studies @ Evangel University, Springfield, MO, 2014).
- "Reimagining Luke-Acts: Amos Yong and the Biblical Foundation of Pentecostal Theology" in The Theology of Amos Yong and the New Face of Pentecostal Scholarship: Passion for the Spirit. Edited by Wolfgang Vondey and Martin Mittelstadt. Global Pentecostal and Charismatic Studies Series. Leiden: Brill, 2013.
Started Work: Fall 2000
Favorite Thing About Work: The interaction with students and colleagues; the exhilaration of seeing a student wrestle with new ideas.
Originally From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- My wife Evelyn (Doerksen) and I have three children - Rachel, Sarah, and Andrew.
- A great day would include any of the following: the outdoors, traveling, a good book, and racquetball.
- Go Jets (We're back) - Go Pack (I'm an owner!) - Go Golden Eagles (We are Marquette!) - Go Blue Jays.
- One of my favorite ministry passions is short term cross-cultural ministry. I have led teams to Oxford House in Northern Manitoba, Atlanta (1996 Olympic Games), Poland (2x), Croatia, and Italy.
- My favorite authors include: John Howard Yoder, Luke Timothy Johnson, Richard Foster, Stanley Hauerwas, Amos Yong, Raniero Cantalamessa, Kathleen Norris, and Miriam Toews.
- I received the Orville and Jewel Mills Young Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, Scholarship, and Service in May 2006.
- I received the Award of Excellence - Book of the Year for publication of "Reading Luke-Acts in the Pentecostal Tradition" from the Foundation for Pentecostal Scholarship in 2011. On this subject, I delivered the Occasional Pentecostal Lecture Series at Asia Pacific Theological Seminaty in Baguio City, Philippines in July, 2011.
- I received the First Place Award in the "Critical Review" Category for the 2014 Higher Goals Awards sponsored by the Evangelical Press Association for “Miracles: The Credibility of the New Testament Accounts." 2 vols. By Craig S. Keener. Published in Enrichment 18.2 (Spring 2013).
- Drop by for a visit on Facebook.
Top 5 Strengths: