How to Format Different Page Numbers in Word 2007
Each style guide has a specific format for page numbers. One of the most difficult is Turabian which requires a page number at the top right of page 2 and a page number on the bottom of page 3. The following step-by-step guide will help you format the page numbers in different sections of the paper.
Follow the following steps when it is necessary to number pages differently in different sections.
- Place the cursor on the first page where you want to display the page number in a different format. If you want to begin numbering on page three, place the cursor that the beginning of page three.
- On the Page Layout tab, in the Page Setup group, click Breaks.
- Under Section Breaks, click Next Page.
- On the Insert tab, in the Header& Footer group, click Header or Footer, and the click Edit Header or Edit Footer.
- Under the Header & Footer Tools, on the Design tab, make sure the Different First Page box is checked in the Options group.
- Under Header & Footer Tools, on the Design tab, in the Navigation group, click Link to Previous to break the connection between the header or footer in the new section and the previous section.
- In the Header & Footer group, click Page Number, and then click Top of the Page or Bottom of the Page to insert the page number.
- In the Header & Footer group, click Page Number, and then click Format Page Numbers.
- In the Number format list, click the format that you want, and if you want the numbering on this page to start with 1, type 1 in the Start at box, and then click OK.
- To insert a page number in a footer (or header) in a different section repeat steps 1-9